Parents are asked to contact the Parish Office early in the pregnancy. Parents are reminded that the selection of sponsors must be made according to regulations specified in Canon Law. (Information below.)
At least one godparent is required. There may be two, but they must be one man and one woman.
The requirements for godparents are:
- be not less than sixteen years of age.
- be a Catholic who has received the Sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation.
- be registered and active members of their parish.
- be living in conformity with Catholic morals and in good standing with the Catholic Church (if married, married according to the laws of the Church).
- may not be the mother or father of the person to be baptized.
- Finally, they must obtain a Sponsor Certificate, attesting to their fulfilling the stated requirements, from the parish in which they are a registered member.
Any adult who wishes to be baptized should contact the Parish Office for more information regarding the RCIA Program.