BAPTISM: Parents are asked to contact Deacon Gregory Albanese early in the pregnancy. Parents are reminded that the selection of sponsors must be made according to regulations specified in Canon Law. (Information below.) At least one godparent is required. There may be two, but they must be one man and one woman.
The requirements for godparents are:
- be not less than sixteen years of age.
- be a Catholic who has received the Sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation.
- be registered and active members of their parish.
- be living in conformity with Catholic morals and in good standing with the Catholic Church (if married, married according to the laws of the Church).
- may not be the mother or father of the person to be baptized.
- Finally, they must obtain a Sponsor Certificate, attesting to their fulfilling the stated requirements, from the parish in which they are a registered member.
FIRST COMMUNION: Preparation for First Communion is offered in Grade 2 through the Religious Education Program. Attendance in Grade 1 is mandatory. Please contact Meg Shideler for more information.
CONFIRMATION: For Confirmation program information please refer to the link under Religious Education.
MARRIAGE: Engaged couples are asked to make an appointment with Father Ledoux at least one year in advance of their planned date of marriage. In addition, at least one of the individuals planning marriage must be a registered and active member of the parish for at least six months prior to being able to reserve a date of marriage.
ANOINTING OF THE SICK: Parishioners scheduled for elective surgery for a serious illness or who have been diagnosed with a serious illness, may contact Father Ledoux to receive the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick. Those who are elderly and who are in failing health may also receive the sacrament. The laying on of hands and anointing with sacred oil dates back to Jesus and the early church. Generally the sacrament is received only once for a specific illness.
HOLY ORDERS: Discerning a call to the priesthood or religious life? Are you being called to something greater? We invite you to visit www.catholicpriest.com, the website for the Diocese of Providence’s Office of Vocations. The Seminary of Our Lady of Providence is a residence for college level and pre-theology seminarians and is located at 485 Mount Pleasant Avenue in Providence. The seminarians attend classes at Providence College. If you have questions about the priesthood, please call the Vocations Office at 401-333-1316 or Father Ledoux at 401-946-5586.